• 1/3 cup thinly sliced carrot
• 1½ cups fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 cup sugar snap peas
• 1/4 cup ice water
• 13½ oz can of evaporated skim milk
• 1 tsp garlic and herb no-salt seasoning
(such as Mrs. Dash)
• 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
• 2 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni,
• 2 green onions, finely sliced
• 1 cup grated light sharp cheddar cheese
• 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Bring water to a boil in medium saucepan. Add carrot. Cover. Cook on medium for four minutes. Add asparagus, peas and red pepper. Cover. Cook for three minutes. Remove vegetables with slotted spoon to ice water to cool quickly, reserving 2 cups cooking water. Drain vegetables once cooled. Set aside.
Add evaporated milk, seasoning and lemon pepper to reserved cooking water in same saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add macaroni. Cook, uncovered, on medium for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until macaroni is tender and most liquid is absorbed. Do not drain. Pour into large bowl.
Add asparagus mixture, green onion and cheese. Stir. Turn in to greased 3 qrt. (3 L) casserole. Cover. Bake in 350º F oven for about 30 minutes until heated through.
Garnish with parsely. Makes eight cups. Serves four.